Sunday 31 July 2016

Chapter 4 - Medieval Knights & The Serfs Of New Praaven

 Catherine is comforting her daughter after the nasty incident with 'Old Boaty'.
"Them two is naught but trouble me little love; they're both as barmy as hungry hogs they are!"
"But how could he seem so real? I HATE SETH FOR MAKING HIM DO THAT!"
"Hush dear, walls have ears you know!"
Indeed.
 Martin's intent was to visit Velsa unannounced and surprise her with not only his master-plan, but a small token of his affections. However, the conversation he stumbled upon has him quite befuddled. Has that rancid friend of his, Prince Seth, been interfering with Martin's plans? If that's the case - who else knows?"He said it straight to The Queen's face, mother, 'I'm on a private mission for The Prince.'"
Catherine shakes her head with dismay but Velsa shrugs it away and gives her a hug.
"Look, I'm done with this now Mater; let me help you cook."
It still takes Martin a moment or so to make the connection. Unfortunately the strength of his brain seldom equals that of his chin.

"Greeting fine ladies. . .I would.." "GET OUT!" Velsa knows she is whacking a wasp's nest by addressing a noble in this way, but Martin has really hurt her!
"YOU AND. . .AND,.."
Yes Velsa you have to say it.
 "YOU AND HIS MAJESTY PRINCE SETH,"
There, despite your loathing for the blockhead monarch, misrepresenting such a title by applying it to a cracked-out crow-brain wasn't that hard was it Velsa? Okay continue, sorry.
"YOU SHOULD NOT INVOLVE MY DEAR MOTHER IN YOUR CRAZY TRICKS!"
Velsa didn't want her fury to sound so lame, but it did.
Despite this, Martin is not good at confrontations with women (it's only his second one ever) and cowers away from Velsa's harsh, accusing words.
After quickly pulling himself together, he turns to Catherine.
"Deepest apologies Madame, it appears you have learned of my motives wrongly and have met me at a disadvantage."
"What do you mean? I met you years ago, here at Praaven Castle!"
Catherine thinks Martin must be just as crazy as his friend.
The pair look at each other for a moment, equally confused by the ambiguity. But Velsa has had enough and brushes past Martin to get to the door.





"I  have an errand to do." She whimpers. Martin grabs her arm. "Please, let me explain!"





"Go on me love, let him explain!" Catherine wants to hear both sides of the story.



"If The Queen knew about us, she would likely have me banished, and worse for you no doubt! Seth can go to Hell, of that, I am sure he will. Please believe me Velsa, I have only you in my heart now!"
 Velsa feels quite stupid for not realising Martin's motives.
"Listen, I have a plan for us," he continues.
Martin then goes on to recount his grand idea.
Velsa's eyes widen as she hears those glorious words:




 "I want to pay your serf's merchet to The King. What do you say?"

"But, but how... we can't just marry, can we?" Velsa stammers.
Martin hushes his heartthrob with a warm embrace hoping to soften the imminent blow. He unties her hair to behold her true beauty once more.
"It's not a marriage merchet as such; I will pay The King for your serfdom, to come and work for me. Then, in time, we shall wed in a left-handed ceremony, with my own... priest... What say you?"
Martin needn't have worried. Velsa is desperate to get away from Praaven Castle and the thought of becoming the lesser wife to a noble is too thrilling to even think about. She nods her reply to him, silently with pursed lips so as not to cry with happiness.

'The First Kiss of True Love?'

Catherine seems to know better.




"Oh, before I depart, I brought you a small gift, I'm sure you could use this."
Martin produces a loaded coin-purse from his garments.
"Just, don't shine so brightly as to question the Sun's force!" he warns. Martin needs to learn how to speak 'Peasant' because Velsa has no idea he is instructing her to spend it wisely, and without creating questions.



 Martin leaves and Velsa turns to her mother. She feels like her body is vibrating with sudden shock, though the look on her mother's face quickly brings her back to reality.
"You stupid girl! Can't you see? He's never going to marry you! You're as paid for as Mary Magdalene with Judas' Silver!"



                                                                

Thanks for reading - Final chapter coming soon!

2 comments:

  1. Oh say it isn't true! The Scoundrel!! Boaty seemed like such a straight up and down guy........hee hee

    ReplyDelete

Just say it will you!

FEED THE PEASANTS!